Diversity Hiring Efforts
Progress and Initiatives
The committee recognized early on that it must address both hiring and retention.The committee meets every two weeks and also hosts an annual “summit” that brings together faculty, staff, trustees and alumni to review progress and provide feedback and guidance.
A number of initiatives are pursued to increase the diversity of the people we hire:
- support professional development experiences for faculty and staff that enhance our commitment to and understanding of diversity.
- attend job fairs that focus on candidates of color.
- seek to cultivate ongoing relationships with prospective candidates even when we do not have an appropriate opening for them.
- explore various visa programs that will allow us to hire international candidates.
- work to make LFA’s commitment to diversity well known among independent schools.
The committee also attends to the retention of faculty and staff members. We seek to provide support to all faculty and staff members but recognize that some employees may feel more isolated than others and will therefore need greater support. We encourage and support gatherings of faculty and staff of color to talk about their LFA experience. Each year we send eight to ten members of the faculty to the NAIS People of Color Conference. We seek to ensure that all members of faculty and staff feel included and valued.
Please see additional statistical information below.