Living at LFA
Over 200 of LFA's students live on campus in dormitories that range in size from 10 to 72 students. These boarding students come from all over Illinois, all over the U.S., and all over the world.
If you're a boarding student, your dorm is more than just where you study and sleep - it's your home away from home, a place to hang out with friends, play Foosball, watch movies or sporting events on the common room television, work hard during study hours, chat with teachers, and just have fun.
Each dorm is staffed by a team of resident faculty members, many of whom live in apartments attached to the dormitories. These faculty members supervise evening study hours, sponsor weekend trips and activities, and are on hand whenever students need assistance. Each dorm also has a team of student proctors who help our boarders with everything from adjusting to life with a roommate to navigating the campus to getting involved in dorm events.
Study hours take place from 8:00-10:00 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday evenings. During that time, boarders are expected to work productively and quietly. The Library, Writing Center, and Media Commons are open during study hours for students who wish to take advantage of those facilities.
Sophomores, juniors, and seniors whose academic performance reflects their ability to manage their time effectively can earn the privilege of Honors Study Hours, with which comes greater freedom during evening study hours. LFA also offers Structured Study Hall for students whose academic performance reflects a need for a more closely monitored environment.
Once classes end on Friday, there's a lot more for boarders to do than just plopping down in front of the TV. Each weekend, LFA offers a wide range of trips, activities, and other events for our boarders. Some of the most popular weekend activities include:
- Home sporting events
- Van runs to local shopping malls, movie theaters, and restaurants
- Trips to downtown Chicago (the Art Institute, Chinatown, Michigan Avenue)
- Trips to plays, concerts, exhibits, state parks, the Lake Forest beach
- Cooking, cookie baking, roll-your-own sushi, or pasta making in faculty homes
- White Sox, Cubs, Blackhawks, Brewers, Northwestern games
- Late-night breakfast runs to local diners
- Open gym and open fitness center hours
- Movie marathons or video game gatherings in dorm common